Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States, 1861 Identified to Wright Seaman, 12th Illinois Infantry, “1st Scotch Regiment,” Killed at Shiloh / SOLD

    This item is out of stock

    Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States, 1861 Identified to Wright Seaman, 12th Illinois Infantry, “1st Scotch Regiment,” Killed at Shiloh - Inventory Number:  HIS 142 / SOLD

    Revised Regulations for the Army of the United States, 1861 published in Philadelphia by J.B. Lippincott & Co. The title page bears the ink inscription “W. Seaman 12th Regt. ILL Vols. Dec. 1861.” Wright Seaman enlisted in July 1861 as a 1st sergeant in the 12th Illinois Infantry. Known as the 1st Scotch Regiment, the unit was known for their tam o’shanter caps and grey uniforms. As a 1st Lieutenant, seaman was killed in action near on April 6, 1862 near Bloody Pond at the Battle of Shiloh. Illinois at Shiloh: Report of the Shiloh battlefield Commission summarizes the regiment’s action during the battle.

    “About eight o'clock Sunday morning, April 6th, 1862, this regiment, in command of Lieutenant Colonel A. L. Chetlain, was ordered with the 9th Illinois and Willard's battery, south on the Hamburg and Savannah road, the intention being to get in touch with Stuart's brigade, which was holding the extreme left of the field.

    At this time the uniform of the regiment consisted of a grey jacket and trousers. Before reaching the crossing of the main Corinth road, the regiment was halted and the new blue uniform taken from wagons in waiting and donned by the regiment, the boys shedding their suits of grey and piling them in a long row beside the road.

    The regiment then resumed the march, but was stopped near the south end of the Peach Orchard, where, turning to the left in the direction of the river, they deployed into line of battle about 600 yards east of the Hamburg road, and on the south slope of a hill that terminated in a ravine running nearly east and west. The 9th Illinois on the same ravine joined the 12th on the right and extended the line nearly to the Hamburg road.

    Soon after the enemy opened fire with a battery posted nearly in front of the regiment, and from the hill in front came almost immediately a sharp musketry fire that soon became a severe punishment. The ground occupied was too low for an effective return of the enemy's fire, and the regiment fell back to a position on the crest of the ridge, doing so in perfect order. Here the regiment, in its better position, did good execution and held its ground during a sharp fight of more than forty minutes, losing heavily, however; Colonel Chetlain here lost his horse and, unable to get another, now commanded on foot. The regiment again fell back and formed a part of Hurlbut's line, that extended about east from the bloody pond; here stubborn resistance was offered for some time, but gradually, as the left of the line was pushed back, the ground became untenable and the regiment again in perfect order retired along the Hamburg road to its camp, where guns were cleaned, cartridge boxes refilled, and the boys made coffee and got a bite to eat; it was at this time, about five o'clock p. m., that a shell from one of the enemy's batteries exploded in one of the company streets, killing two and wounding three men. The regiment remained in camp Sunday night. On the morning of Monday, Lieutenant Colonel Chetlain, sick and disabled, was unable to take command, and the command fell to Captain James R. Hugunin of Company K. One hundred men had fallen killed or wounded and missing. The brigade commander. General John McArthur, who had just been promoted from the colonelcy of the 12th, wounded, the lieutenant colonel disabled by the fall of his horse, two captains killed, five lieutenants wounded and one lieutenant missing (captured). Nevertheless, the regiment retained its organization and formed on its color line, and under Captain Hugunin, waited orders to go to the front. At last, weary of waiting. Captain Hugunin ordered the command forward, and filing through the woods in the direction where heavy firing was heard, the little command, at nine o'clock, joined General McClernand's division. The opposing lines soon came to close quarters and after a short, stubborn contest, the enemy gave way. Then the regiment moved with the division to the support of General Buell's army, which was immediately on the front, and the 12th was held in reserve, supporting the front line as it pushed the enemy back from place to place, ready at all times when support was needed.

    At no time during the two days' battle did this regiment suffer disintegration, nor did any part of its organization separate or become scattered; all of its movements were as a whole and under the command of its officers.”

    The book has a strong binding with some wear to the edges and a slight gouge to the front cover, as well as two small indentations just above it that appear to be the impressions of buckshot. There’s a high probability that this book was in the camp of the 12th Illinois at Shiloh when Wright Seaman was killed and stands as a great piece of history from the battle. 

    Wright Seaman - Residence Princeton IL; Enlisted on 7/24/1861 as a 1st Sergeant. On 8/1/1861 he mustered into “I” Co. IL 12th Infantry. He was Killed on 4/6/1862 at Shiloh, TN. Promotions: Qtr Master Serg.* 1st Lieut. Intra Regimental Company Transfers: from company I to Field & Staff.’


         The Twelfth Infantry Illinois Volunteers was mustered into the United States service for three years August 1, 1861.  The regiment remained at Cairo, where it was organized, until September 5, 1861, when, with the Ninth Illinois Infantry, it moved up to and occupied Paducah, being the first Union troops there.

         With the exception of occasional expeditions, the Twelfth lay at Paducah until February 5, 1862.  Four companies, however, occupied Smithland, Kentucky, until January 25, 1862--Lieutenant Colonel Chetlain commanding Post.  Were engaged in the demonstration against Columbus, Kentucky, forty-six miles from Paducah, during the Belmont battle.  In January were engaged in a reconnoissance in force towards Fort Donelson, Tennessee.

         February 5, embarked for Fort Henry; moved up left bank and occupied Fort Heiman.  Remained at Fort Heiman until February 12, when proceeded to Fort Donelson.

         Endured the cold and snow and hunger and fatigue of the Fort Donelson battle; formed with the Ninth and Forty-first Illinois, McArthur's Brigade, which suffered so terribly, but fought so nobly on the 15th of February.  Loss, 19 killed, 58 wounded, and 10 missing.

         February 22, moved to Clarksville, Tennessee, and occupied Fort Sevier.  February 26, moved to Nashville.  Returned to Clarksville, March 1.  March 6th embarked for Pittsburg Landing.  Went into camp 19th.

         Took part in the terrible battle of Shiloh, being engaged nearly all the time of the two days.  Colonel Chetlain commanded the regiment the 6th, but he being injured by a fall from his horse, Major Hugunin commanded on the 7th.  Regimental loss, 109 killed and wounded, and seven missing.

         April 28th, moved with the army on Corinth; was engaged in the siege of Corinth, doing its share of picket and fatigue duty, extending saps, etc.  After the evacuation the regiment was sent with General Pope in pursuit of the enemy.  Lay at Booneville six days and then returned to Corinth.  The regiment remained at Corinth until the middle of September.  During the approach on Corinth were in Second Brigade, Second Division Army of Tennessee.  Brigadier General Thomas A. Davies, commanding division; Brigadier General R. J. Oglesby, brigade, and Colonel Chetlain, regiment.

         On the 16th September moved to near Iuka.  Were not engaged in the battle of Iuka.  On the 19th moved to Burnsville, where it remained till October 2.

         October 3 and 4, were engaged in battle of Corinth.  The division (second) Gen. Davies, and the sixth division, General McArthur, fought nearly the whole rebel army.  The losses were very heavy, and the fighting most desperate.  On the 4th, "Powell's Battery," which we were supporting, was captured by the enemy in a charge, but was almost immediately retaken.  In this affair the Twelfth took a very conspicuous and brilliant part.  Supported by a small part of the Fiftieth and Fifty-second Illinois Infantry, they drove the enemy from the works, capturing a stand of colors, and turned the guns of the battery on the enemy.  The division lost more than half of the men that were lost during the day, the regiment losing 17 killed, 80 wounded, and 15 missing.  Captain Guy C. Ward, acting major, was killed, and brigade commander General Oglesby severely wounded.  Remained at Corinth until January 24th, 1863, when it was sent as train guard to Hamburg and returned.

         April 12.  The enemy attacked Glendale, an out-post twelve miles from Corinth.  The regiment, 225 strong, in command of Major Hugunin, was ordered as reinforcement.  On arriving, they found that the Sixty-fourth Illinois, "Yates' Sharpshooters," had repulsed the attack, and they returned to Corinth.  The regiment was now in left wing Sixteenth Army Corps, Major General R. J. Oglesby commanding.

         June 6, 1863, moved to Pocahontas, Tennessee, to guard railroad, where they remained until 29th October, when left wing being attached to Fifteenth Corps, Major General W. T. Sherman commanding, they moved as rear guard, via Corinth, Iuka, crossing Tennessee river at Eastport--at Lauderdale, Alabama, destroying an immense cotton factory--to Pulaski, Tennessee, arriving November 12.  Here left wing remained, Fifteenth Army Corps going on to Chattanooga and battle of Missionary Ridge.

         November 13, went as wagon guard with Second Iowa Infantry to near Columbia, Tennessee, and returned.

         November 25.  Ordered to Richland Station, Nashville and Decatur Railroad, to guard railroad, where they remained about two months, doing duty, foraging, etc.

         December 29.  Colonel Chetlain appointed Brigadier General.

         January 16, 1864.  Regiment re-enlisted as veterans.

         January 18.  311 men and 24 officers started for Camp Butler, Illinois, on veteran furlough.  The remainder, about 90 men, remained under command of Captain J. D. Towner.

         March 18.  Having re-organized at Camp Fry, Chicago, Illinois, the Twelfth proceeded to Pulaski, Tennessee.

         April 28.  Marched to Larkinsville, and thence by rail to Chattanooga.  Started on the Atlanta campaign 9th May, and from that time till the fall of Atlanta, was actively engaged.  Was in second brigade second division left wing Sixteenth Army Corps, Colonel Aug. Mersey commanding brigade; Brigadier General T. W. Sweeney commanding division; Brigadier General G. M. Dodge commanding left wing; Major General J. B. McPherson commanding department and Army of Tennessee.

         The first engagement the regiment participated in was Lay's Ferry and Rome Cross Roads, 13th, 14th and 15th May, losing two killed and 21 wounded.

         May 27.  Assisted in repulsing a heavy night attack on Dallas.

         June 2.  Left the lines and swung around toward Lost Mountain and Ackworth.

         June 10.  Passed through Ackworth and Big Shanty.


         June 27.  Slightly engaged at Kenesaw, losing three men wounded.

         July 4.  Engaged near Nickajack creek.  Crossed Chattahoochie river and was engaged in battle of July 22, Bald Knob and Decatur, losing 35 or 40 men killed and wounded.

         July 28.  Engaged at Ezra Church.

         During August closely engaged in the siege of Atlanta; losing some 40 men killed and wounded.

         August 27.  Moved out from works in the movement around Atlanta, compelling its fall.

         September 1.  Assisted in repulsing attack of the enemy on right of Fifteenth and left of Sixteenth Army Corps.  Marched to Lovejoy's, and, September 6th, returned to East Point, where division was transferred and became fourth division Fifteenth Army Corps.  Sept. 26 moved to Rome, Georgia.  October 4 by rail to Allatoona.

         October 5.  Engaged in battle of Allatoona, losing 57 killed and wounded out of 161 muskets taken into action.  Returning to Rome, remained until November 11.

         On the 11th of November started on the "march to the sea," passing through Kingston, Cartersville, Cassville, Allatoona, Ackworth, Big Shanty and Marietta, arriving at Atlanta November 15.  16th, resuming march, passed through Jonesboro, McDonough, Jackson, crossed Ocmulgee river at Seven Islands Cotton Factory, Monticello, Hillsboro, Clinton, camping near Gordon on 24th.  Lost one man near Clinton, captured by Wheeler's cavalry.

         November 25.  Passed through Irwinton, crossed Oconee river, where some opposition was made by the enemy, on through Irwin's Cross Roads, Wrightsville and head waters of Ohoopee river, through Summerville, camping on Scull's creek, four miles from Millen, 2d December.

         December 3.  Crossed Ogeechee river, on picket; 4th returned, marched down the river and crossed at Jenckes' Bridge on the 8th.  Marched to Ogeechee canal finding the enemy in force, on the 9th, four miles from the canal.  They were soon flanked out of their position, leaving a "Blakesley gun" English manufacture, in our possession.

         10th.  With Sixty-sixth Illinois, were sent to burn railroad bridge over Little Ogeechee, but it was burned by the enemy on our approach.  Until 17th the regiment was stationed in different places on the line around Savannah, when it was detailed to guard the prisoners taken at Fort McAllister and on the march and to take them to Hilton Head.

         January 10, 1865.  Returned to Savannah and remained to 28th, when broke camp, and marching up the Savannah river, camped at Sister's Ferry, 31st.

         February 4th.  Crossed on 4th, and after repairing bridge and causeway crossed Coosawatchie, on the 7th; Whippy Swamp, 8th; Salkahatchie, 9th; Beaufort river bridge, 10th; South Edisto, 11th; Charleston and Augusta Railroad, 12th; North Edisto, 13th; Sandy Run Post Office, 14th; 16th,Saluda river, 17th, Broad river, and entered Columbia, making a march from Savannah of 177 miles.

         18th and 19th February, tore up railroad, (Charleston and Columbia); 20th, marched to Muddy Springs; 21st, Longtown; 22d, Peay's Ferry; 23d crossed Wateree river; 24th, with four companies of 66th Illinois, on reconnoisance through Camden; 25th, on picket; 26th, 27th and 28th, at Lynch's Creek; March 1st, crossed Black creek; 3d, Julian creek; 4th, at Cheraw, making 164 miles from Columbia.

         March 6th, crossed Peedee river, passed Gum Swamp, Springfield, Laurel Hill, North Carolina, Lumber creek, Rocky Fish creek, arriving at Fayetteville, North Carolina, March 12th, from Cheraw, 73 miles.

         March 14th.  Crossed Cape Fear river, and on the 19th arrived near Neuse river; 18th from Goldsboro, from Fayetteville, 77 miles.

         March 20th, 1865.  Marched 9 miles and went into position in front of the enemy.  21st, lost two men wounded; 22d, moved into enemy's works.

         March 24th.  Entered Goldsboro, North Carolina.

         Total distance marched since leaving Savannah, over 600 miles.

         April 10.  Broke camp and marched in pursuit of Johnson's army; Raleigh, 14th; Morrisville, 15th, where it remained until Johnson's surrender.

         April 21.  Returned to Raleigh; 29th, started northward.  Petersburg, May 6th, making 186 miles in six and a half days.  May 9th, Manchester.  Alexandria, 19th.  Passed in the grand review at Washington, May 24th.

         June 3d, left Washington; June 6th, arrived at Louisville, Kentucky.

         July 10th, 1865.  Mustered out, at Louisville, Kentucky.  July 18th, received final pay and discharge at Camp Butler, Illinois.

    Comes housed in a 6 x 8 inch display case with black velvet backing and descriptive card.


     Inventory Number:  HIS 142 / SOLD