Battle of Utoy Creek
Situated on the North Fork of Utoy Creek, the Grist mill was in operation in 1850. Union troops of the US XIV Corps, Johnson's Division, crossed the mill pond on August 3, 1864, in an attempt to break the Confederate defenses at Utoy Creek, GA. The Herring House was used as a headquarters by General Sherman on August 3–4, 1864.
Inventory Number: MIS 137 / SOLD