Painted Canteen 90th New York Infantry - Inventory Number: CAN 073 / SOLD
Model 1858 Smooth-side canteen with floral painting on face. The bottom edges have a painted inscription in faint white which reads: "90th New York / 1862 - 1865". The 90th served with distinction at Port Hudson and Cedar Creek resulting in heavy loss.
NEW YORK NINETIETH INFANTRY (Three Years)
Ninetieth Infantry.-Cols., Joseph S. Morgan, Nelson Shaurman; Lieut.-Cols., Lewis W. Tinelli, Nelson Shaurman, John C. Smart, Henry De La Paturelle; Majs., Joseph S. D. Agreda, Nelson Shaurman, John C. Swart, Henry De La Paturelle.
This regiment, known as the Hancock Guard, was recruited mainly in New York city and vicinity and was mustered into the U. S. service at New York from Sept. to Dec., 1861, for a three years' term. It embarked on Jan. 5, 1862, for Key West, Fla., where it performed garrison duty for some months.
Early in 1863 it was ordered to join the 19th corps in Louisiana and was assigned to the 1st brigade, 4th division. From New Orleans the regiment moved to Port Hudson, where it took an active part in the siege, losing 50 killed, wounded or missing. It was also closely engaged at Bayou La Fourche, with the loss of 71, and in March, 1864, shared in the Red River campaign.
The reenlisted men received their veteran furlough in Aug. and Sept., 1864, and the remainder of the regiment served in their absence with the 160th N. Y. infantry. The veteran regiment was ordered to Virginia early in September and joined the Army of the Shenandoah while it was conducting the campaign against Gen. Early.
The 90th fought at the Opequan, Fisher's hill and Cedar creek,
losing 73 in killed, wounded and missing in the last named engagement. The original members not reenlisted were mustered out during Dec. 1864, and the regiment was consolidated into a battalion of six companies, which received in June 1865, the members of the 114th, 116th and 133d N. Y. infantry.
The regiment served in the 1st brigade of Dwight's division at Washington from April to June, 1865, and at Savannah, Ga., from June to July. It was then ordered to Hawkinsville, Ga., for a time and concluded its term of service at Savannah, where it was mustered out on Feb. 9, 1866. It lost 60 by death from wounds and 190 from other causes.
Inventory Number: CAN 073 / SOLD