Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Patriotic Silver Watch Belonging to James Seymour, 2nd and 17th Michigan / Sold

    This item is out of stock
    Patriotic Silver Watch Belonging to James Seymour of Wayne County Michigan - Inventory Number: IDE 102 / Sold

    Fine silver pocket watch manufactured by F H. Cooper of London.  A beautiful Eagle on one side and a Panoply of arms on the other.  This watch is affixed too its original watch fob with key and silver identification shield marked: “J. Seymour Saginaw City Mich.”

    Private Seymour enlisted on 5/18/1861 at Detroit, Michigan

    He mustered in April 25th 1861 into: Co. "G" 2nd Michigan Infantry

    He was discharged on July 9th, 1864 and reenlisted on January 30th 1864 into:  Co. "F" of the 17th Michigan Volunteer Infantry


    James Seymour:

    Residence Wayne County MI; 30 years old.

    Enlisted on 5/18/1861 at Detroit, MI as a Private.

    On 5/25/1861 he mustered into "G" Co. MI 2nd Infantry

    He was discharged on 7/9/1864 at Detroit, MI

    On 1/30/1864 he Attached into "F" Co. MI 17th Infantry

    He was Returned on 4/9/1864



         Second Infantry.-Cols., Israel B. Richardson, Orlando M. Poe, William Humphrey; Lieut.-Cols., Henry L. Chipman, Adolphus W. Williams, Louis Dillman, Edwin J. March, Charles B. Haydon, Frederick Schneider; Majs., A. W. Williams, Cornelius Byington, John C. Boughton.  This regiment was organized at Detroit in April, 1861, and was mustered in on May 25, being the first three years regiment in the state.  It left for the front on June 5, and reported at Washington.  It was engaged at Blackburn's ford, and covered the retreat from Bull Run three days later.  It remained near Alexandria during the fall and winter, with Col. O. M. Poe in command Richardson being made brigadier-general.  It was assigned to Berry's brigade, Kearny's division, Heintzelman's corps, for the Peninsular Campaign, was in the siege of Yorktown, and was engaged at Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, Charles City cross-roads and Malvern hill its losses being 137 in killed, wounded and missing.  It was in the hottest of the fight at Williamsburg, forcing back twice its numbers at the point of the bayonet.  "By coolness, precision and energy, recapturing our lost position and artillery, * * * and have won a name in history that the most ambitious might be proud of," read the official report.  At Fair Oaks, 500 of the regiment charged ten times their number, "stopping them in mid-career."  It was at Harrison's landing until Aug. 15, was under furious fire at the second Bull Run, repulsing several cavalry charges, and was also in the severe engagement at Chantilly.  It was in numerous expeditions and reconnaissances until the last of November, and was then transferred to the 1st brigade, Burns' division, 9th corps being held in reserve at Fredericksburg.  It moved to Newport News Va., in Feb., 1863, and to Bardstown, Ky., in March.  In June, it joined Grant's army in Mississippi and participated in the siege of Vicksburg.  It was in the several engagements at Jackson in July, including a skirmish in which it drove the enemy from his rifle-pits and through his reserve.  It moved to Milldale, then to Nicholasville, Ky. and on Aug. 30, to Crab Orchard.  It then moved to eastern Tennessee and was in the engagements at Blue Springs, Loudon, Lenoir's station and Campbell's station and assisted in the defense of Knoxville. The regiment performed heroic service at Fort Sanders and at Thurley's ford, after which it camped at Blain's cross-roads until the middle of Jan., 1864.  There 198 of the regiment reenlisted and after camping at Erie Station until Feb. 4, the veterans were sent home on furlough. Col. Poe, their old commander, wrote of them: "Proud am I that I was ever associated with such heroes. * * * There is something sublimely grand in the steady, quiet courage of those men of our 'Second;' they never yet have failed in time of need, and never will."  The regiment rejoined its corps of the Army of the Potomac May 5, and participated in the battle of the Wilderness.  At Spottsylvania Court House it recaptured some guns lost by a New York battery and drove back a brigade.  It was engaged at Ox ford, North Anna, Totopotomy, Bethesda Church and Cold Harbor and in the first assaults on Petersburg in June, it lost 22 killed, 143 wounded and 6 missing.  In the attack following the springing of the mine the regiment lost 6 killed, 14 wounded and 37 missing.  It was engaged at the Weldon railroad and Poplar Spring Church, and was then in camp near Peebles, house until Oct. 27, when it fought at Hatcher's run and was then in the trenches before Petersburg during the winter.  It participated in the defense of Fort Stedman in March, 1865, sustaining heavy loss, and aided in the capture of Petersburg in April.  It was mustered out at Washington July 28, 1865.  Its original strength was 1,013; gain by Recruits, 1,138; total 2,151.  Loss by death, 321.


    MICHIGAN Seventeenth infantry. (Three Years)

         The Seventeenth Michigan Infantry was organized at Detroit in the spring of 1862, and started for Washington, D. C., August 27, 1862, under command of Colonel William H. Withington of Jackson, with an enrollment of 982 officers and men, and upon the arrival of the regiment at Washington it was assigned to the First Brigade, First Division, Ninth Army Corps.  It continued to form a part of this celebrated corps during its term of service.

    Inventory Number: IDE 102 / Sold