Specializing in Authentic Civil War Artifacts
  • Trunk Identified to Lieutenant E. G. Hood, 35th Mass, WIA Antietam, MD / Sold

    This item is out of stock

    Trunk Identified to Lieutenant E. G. Hood, 35th Mass, WIA Antietam, MD - Inventory Number: IDE 034 / Sold

    Identified Officer's trunk belonging to Lieutenant Elbridge G. Hood, "A" Co. MA 35th Infantry, with white stencil.  Hood was wounded in action at Antietam.  The trunk is wooden and covered with leather and features iron furniture and original lockplate.  There is wood strapping on the lid for transportation by wagon or train.   Interior of the trunk is lined with wallpaper that has blue floral highlights and a diamond pattern.  

    There are three labels affixed to the side of the trunk.  A paper shipping label is affixed with had cut nails.  The label is addressed to "Mrs. E. G. Hood / Swampscott Mass".  There is also a Dodds Express Paper Label for shipment via Dodds Express on the New Haven Rail Road Line, and an additional label for "Pratt & Company, Connecticut and Boston Express Line".  

    This is a nice example of an old Jenny Lind style wood trunk. Jenny Lind trunks are scarce. These were the top model trunks from any trunk maker of the day. They took quite a bit more work to put together and sold for a premium. Jenny Lind trunks were named after the Swedish singer who toured the U.S. in the early 1850's with P.T. Barnum. Known as the "Swedish Nightingale" she is said to have had a trunk like this one with her and they became all the rage for several years. 

    Elbridge G. Hood:

    Residence Nahant MA; a 21 year-old Architect.

    Enlisted on 8/1/1862 at Nahant, MA as a 1st Lieutenant.

    On 8/9/1862 he mustered into "A" Co. MA 35th Infantry 

    He was discharged for wounds on 4/29/1863

    On 12/26/1863 he was commissioned into "110th" Co. Veteran Reserve Corps 2nd Battn 

    He was discharged on 7/11/1864

     (Appointment revoked)

    He was listed as:

    * Wounded 9/17/1862 Antietam, MD


    * Capt 12/15/1862 

    * Capt 3/9/1864 (Appointment revoked)

    Intra Regimental Company Transfers:

    * from company A to company K 

    Other Information:

    Born in Nahant, MA

    Member of GAR Post # 5 (General Frederick West Lander) in Lynn, MA

    Died 1/23/1902


         The 35th Regt. Mass. Vol. Inf. was organized at Camp Stanton, Lynnfield, and was composed mostly of men enrolled in eastern Massachusetts.  It was recruited during July and the early part of August, 1862, and its members were mustered into the service largely between August 9 and 19.  Under Col. Edward A. Wild the regiment left for the seat of war August 22, reaching B. Washington on the 24th.  On Sept. 8, it was assigned to Ferrero's (2d) Brigade, Sturgis' (2d) Division, Reno's (9th) Corps.

         Joining the Army of the Potomac it took part in the battle of South Mountain, Sept. 14, 1862, where Col. Wild lost his left arm.  At Antietam, Sept. 17, under command of Lieut. Col. Carruth, the regiment lost 214 officers and men, of whom 69 were killed or mortally wounded.  At Fredericksburg, Dec. 13,1862, it again suffered severely, losing Major Willard, who was in command. It camped during the early part of the winter near Falmouth.

         On Feb. 9, 1863, it was transferred to Newport News, Va., and, after a few weeks stay at this place, was sent with the 9th Corps into Kentucky, being stationed at Mount Stirling, Lancaster, Stanford, and other places.  Lieut. Col. Carruth now became colonel of the regiment.  It was next ordered to Vicksburg, Miss., to reinforce Gen. Grant, remaining about four weeks, until the surrender of the city, July 4.  It participated in the pursuit of Johnston's army to Jackson,Miss., and was present at the capture of the city, then returned to its old camp near Vicksburg.  From here it proceeded by boat and train to Cincinnati, reaching there the14th of August.

         Proceeding to Knoxville, Tenn., which it reached Oct. 22, it participated in the defense of the city against Longstreet.  After the close of the siege, Dec. 4, the 35th soon proceeded to Blain's Cross Roads, where it remained, enduring great privations, until January 1864.  After various movements -to Knoxville, Morristown, and elsewhere-  the regiment returned to Cincinnati.  Here, April 1, it entrained for Baltimore, Md., from whence it took boat for Annapolis.

         In the reorganization of the 9th Corps the regiment, now commanded by Major Nat Wales, became a part of Carruth's (1st) Brigade, Stevenson's (1st) Division.  During the battle of the Wilderness, May 5 and 6, and the first part of that of  Spottsylvania, May 8 to 12, the 35th was in charge of the supply train of the 1st Division, and was not engaged.

    Returning to its brigade, May 17, on the following day it was in the last assault on the Confederate lines at Spottsylvania, moving thence to the North Anna River, where it was againengaged, May 25.

         It was now detailed as an engineer corps for the 1st Division.  At Cold Harbor, June 3, it was posted near Bethesda Church and suffered light loss.  Crossing the James on June 15, the regiment participated in the siege of Petersburg.  At the Crater fight, July 30, it was heavily engaged, losing 12 killed and 34 wounded.  At Weldon Railroad, Aug. 19, it was again engaged with loss.  It was now reduced to two officers and about 100 men present for duty.  In another reorganization of the 9th Corps early in September it was assigned to Curtin's (1st) Brigade, Potter's (2d) Division.  About this time there were added to the regiment 385 German and French substitutes, recently arrived in this country and ignorant of the English tongue.  Major Hudson now commanded the regiment.  At Poplar Spring Church, Sept. 30, it was severely engaged, losing 163 prisoners.  For two months it was now posted near Forts Fisher and Welsh. During the midwinter it was stationed in the rear of Fort Sedgwick (Fort Hell).  From March 7, 1865, until the fall of Petersburg, April 2, it formed a part of the garrison of this fort.  It then joined in the pursuit of Lee's army and was at Farmville when the news came of the surrender.

         Arriving at Alexandria, Va., April 28, it remained as a part of the garrison of the District of Columbia until June 9, when it transferred its recruits to the 29th Regiment and was mustered out of the service.  Returning to Readville, Mass., on June 27, the men were paid off and discharged.

    Inventory Number: IDE 034 / Sold