William H. Tipton Photograph of the 1st Delaware Infantry Monument at Gettysburg - Inventory Number: ALB 262
Large photographic print by William H. Tipton of the 1st Delaware monument between the Copse of Trees and the Brian Farm, likely taken shortly after it’s dedication in 1885. Tipton’s signature is visible on the print near the base of the monument. The photograph is mounted on an 11” by 14” cardboard mat with some wear and tear to the corners and edges. The reverse bears a Tipton maker’s mark in purple ink, as well as an advertisement for Gettysburg granite memorials by The Smith Granite Company of Boston, Massachusetts.
William H. Tipton (1850-1929) was a Gettysburg native and apprentice of the Tyson Brothers photographers as early as 1862. After the war he opened his own studio in Gettysburg and became one of the most well-known photographers in the nation for his battlefield views.
*To purchase this item directly with a credit card, please click on this link.
Inventory Number: ALB 262